Dallas Bar Association
Tarrant County Bar Association
Top Attorneys of North America


Can my Custody or Support Order be Modified?

An individual's circumstances can change frequently after divorce. In some cases, these changes can affect a person's ability to comply with court-ordered custody, visitation or support. Perhaps you are a custodial parent who needs to move away for employment, health or family reasons, but you cannot do so without violating the other parent's rights. Perhaps an unexpected illness or medical condition means the spousal support amount is no longer appropriate.

Modifying Child Support After a Significant Change in Circumstances

The court always makes decisions based on the best interests of the child, which is why you need to prove that modifying your custody order is best for your child.

To have your child support or spousal support order modified, you will need to prove to the family law judge that your circumstances have changed and that you are incapable of complying with the order. The judge will then modify your order by reducing the amount of support to an affordable monthly payment or by canceling the support payments altogether.

Contact a Family Law Attorney in Grapevine

Powell Law Offices, P.C., is dedicated to the best interests of each client. When you approach us regarding your family law matter, we will take the time to hear you out and get to know you on a personal level. We demonstrate a high level of client commitment that is difficult to find in other firms and lawyers. From the moment you retain us to handle your case, you will have direct access to your attorney at all times and will be constantly informed of the progress of your case. Contact us at your earliest convenience to schedule a consultation!

We proudly serve Tarrant, Dallas, Collin and Denton counties.